Birth of Rajbari
There’s no doubt that Rajbari was named after king’s home. No one knows the exact time when it was named. From a rail travel book named “East Bangla Railway Calcutta” by L.N Mishra (1935), it was found that in the year of 1966 Nawab Shaesta Khan was appointed as Subedar in Dhaka. At that time Sangram Saha was sent as the team leader to defeat the Portuguese pirates. He lived permanently in Baniboho and built a ford on Lalgola. It is a few kilometers north from the main town. On that book it is mentioned that Royal Court and main controller office address was ‘Rajbari Zone’ that time. But the Railway station was named as ‘Rajbari’ from the beginning (1890 A.D). The famous writer Anandanath Roy described Baniboho on his book as “History of Faridpur.” Nawara Chowdhury Family lived in Rajbari for more than 300 years. When they came Baniboho was a crowded place. Baniboho was the area combined with some villages named Biddabagish Para, Acharya Para, Bhattacharje Para, Senhati Para, Basu Para, Bene Para and Nune Para.
The name ‘Rajbari’ was named after King Surjo Kumar. Grandfather of Surjo Kumar, Provuram was royal servant of Nawab Siraj Ud Dowla. After Palashi war he came to Lakkhikol and stayed there for his safety. Later his son, Degendro Prashad became the land lord of this place. In 1985 Surjo Kumar was appointed, son of Digendro Prashad was named King. Then, some people wanted to change the name Rajbari Railway to King Surjo Kumar Railway but it was not possible for landlords of Baniboho. The place that Rajbari Railway Station is situated once was owned by the landlords of Baniboho. After all these incidents it is thought that Rajbari was named long before. The house King Surjo Kumar and his family lived in is still known as King’s house among the people. That was the beginning of Rajbari.
You must log in to post a comment.